- 15 Mar
New PHP 5.4 and ASP.NET 4.5
A lot has happened between June 2009 and March 2012. Tiger Woods saw his squeaky clean profile crumble, Wikileaks released diplomatic cables from the US embassy that took the world by storm and the man behind the Apple unfortunately passed away.
However, amidst all of this there was a long wait for a major update to PHP. On Friday 1st March 2012 that update was made, from PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.4. And after a thorough period of testing we have rolled out this release to our shared servers. The update includes several changes that optimize runtime, remove deprecated features, and make code a little more graceful.
Not only this, but we are also pleased to announce that we now offer ASP.NET 4.5 on our shared hosting platform.
Take advantage now and boost the performance of your PHP and ASP.NET sites by updating to the latest versions.
Boost Performance with PHP 5.4
PHP 5.4 introduces a number of new features that make your PHP sites perform up to 50% faster compared to PHP 5.2. Some of the key features include:
- New language syntax including Traits, shortened array syntax and more
- The PHP default charset is now “UTF-8″
- $this can now be used in anonymous functions
- 4Other features include always on short tags register_globals, magic_quotes and safe mode.
Improve Performance with ASP.NET 4.5
The new features available in .NET 4.5 can help you achieve a significant performance boost for web-server workloads. This includes a reduction (up to 35 percent) in both startup time and in the memory footprint of web hosting sites that use ASP.NET. Some of the various performance improvements for web hosting include:
- Multi-core JIT compilation for faster startup
- Bundling and Minification
- Improvements to HttpRequest handling
- Asynchronously flushing a response
- New ASP.NET Request validation features